Search your Topic HERE....

April 26, 2012

Verbs - Shortcut Rules - Part 2

7 comments

sponsored links


Shortcut Rule 11 : When the subordinate clause expresses a universal truth the past tense in the main clause may be followed by a Present Tense.

  • He said that the sun rose in the East.
  • He said that the sun rises in the East.

Shortcut Rule 12 : The Past Tense in the main clause may be followed by any tense after the conjunction "Than" in the subordinate clause. 

  • He worked faster than we do / did.

Shortcut Rule 13 : In Conditional Sentences, to express improbability in the Present, the Simple Past Tense in the if clause and the Present Conditional Tense in the main clause are used.

  • If I am the Principal, I would Punish Him.
  • If I were the Principal, I would Punish Him.
  • If he is rich, he would buy a car.
  • If he were rich, He would buy a car.

Shortcut Rule 14 : To express unfulfilled condition in the Past, we should express with "Past Perfect Tense" in the if clause and Perfect Conditional Tense in the Main Clause.

  • If you worked hard, you would have passed in the examination.
  • If you had worked hard, you would have passed in the examination.

Shortcut Rule 15 : For the interrogative sentences that begin with auxiliary verbs, "if or whether as a connective word in indirect speech.

  • He said to me, "Are you going there?"
  • He asked me if I was going there.
  • He asked me that I was going there
  • "Are they ready or not?" she said to me.
  • She asked me whether they were ready.
  • She asked me that they were ready or not.

Shortcut Rule 16 : No other conjunction should be used as a connective word, in indirect speech when the question indirect speech begins with "Why (or) How" question words.

  • He asked me that who my best friend was.
  • He asked me who my best friend was.
  • He asked me that How I got time to write all posts in my Blog.
  • He asked me how I got time to write all posts in my Blog.

Shortcut Rule 17 : No preposition is used after the verb "told" 

  • He told me that he passed the examination.
  • He told me that he had passed the examination.

Shortcut Rule 18 : The question forms  in direct speech should be changed to affirmative sentences in indirect speech.

  • The receptionist asked me who do I want to meet in the office.
  • The receptionist asked me whom I wanted to meet in the office.

Shortcut Rule 19 : The verb "Suggest" purpose in indirect speech should be followed by "that clause" with the auxiliary verb "should" 

  • He suggested me to go for a walk every morning.
  • He suggested to me that I should go for a walk every morning.

Shortcut Rule 20 : In the absence of an indirect object after "suggest" a gerund form is used.

  • He suggested going for a walk every morning.

Shortcut Rule 21 : The verb "Tell" should be used with an object.

  • He told that he had passed in the test.
  • He said that he had passed in the test (OR)
  • He told me that he had passed in the Test.
Liked this Post? Read More English Tips and Tricks Here

Like our Facebook Page Here to get daily updates and simple learning Techniques. 

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much sir for your English Grammar Techniques. These are very useful for me.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. very useful topics for the examination point of view.. thankyou :)

    please correct the spelling of *used* in shortcut rule 21

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can u plz again explain d 17th rule again

    ReplyDelete
  4. in rule 13 eg. if i were a principal,i would punish him.
    or
    if i was a principal , i would punish him.
    plzzzzzz rly me,,,, i never got any rly !!!or suggest me some good coaching in delhi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although many English-speaking people use them interchangeably, they do not mean the same thing.

      "I were" is used as a conditional..

      If I were a principal, I'd punish him. (I am not a principal)

      If I were going to Antarctica, I'd go with my best friend. (I am not going to Antarctica)


      If I was fast in the race, it's because I had competition to push me. (I may have been fast; I may not have. The condition is unclear)

      If I was rude, I apologize. (I may have been rude. It depends on a person's point-of-view. The condition is unclear)


      Hope I cleared your doubt...

      I don't have good opinion on Coaching classes sis...

      By the way, sorry for your unanswered questions... as you know, we're busy posting new articles.. So it's not possible fr us to respond each n every query... Hope you can understand :)

      Delete
    2. thank u sir,, i don't find that much difficulty in english. so much to learn. uffff

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...